Day 5: Bicingles bonanza


 A quick reminder: the plan today is to ride up (and down) Mt Ventoux 6 times; twice each on the 3 roads leading to the summit from Bédoin, Malaucene and Sault. That’s 274km in length and climbs a total of 8,800 metres, coincidentally equal to Mount Everest. I’ll start in Bédoin and in order to complete the challenge I need to have done all 6 climbs and get back down to Bédoin by midnight. 

And so it was that, as if this was an entirely normal thing to do, which drove 3 of us to get  up at 11pm, make some coffee, get ourselves sorted and drive the 15km to Bédoin for the start. 

I should explain, the 3 were me, Drew (fellow cyclist and awesome athlete) and Badge, our enthusiastic and all round legendary support driver and DS. 

Ascent no. 1 - Bédoin (1st climb)

From the website: 

The southern gateway of the giant via Bedoin extends over 6,300 hectares of forest on the Ventoux, which ranks the village among the largest municipalities in France. It is also the most difficult side. From Saint-Estève , no possibility of breathing, except for 200 m before the Chalet Reynard .

Arriving in Bédoin just before midnight we got the bikes out the car and started to get ourselves ready. All was going well, at least until I heard an “oh sh*t” from Drew. 

“You ok mate?”

“No”

“What’s up”

“I’ve left my Garmin at home”

Now, for those who may not know, a Garmin is a snazzy bike computer which sits on your handlebars and does helpful things like telling you how far you have left to climb, amongst dozens of other only slightly less vital bits of information. 

It also - and this is important - records your ride and uploads to Strava.com at the end of the ride. And as the saying goes, “if it’s not on Strava it didn’t happen”.

We quickly got our thinking caps on and worked through a few options. None were ideal. The one we settled on was that I would set off, Badge would drive home to fetch the Garmin then Drew would set off. Drew had been riding like a demon all week and I was in no doubt that he would catch me up either on the 1st climb or the 2nd. What actually happened was slightly more impressive, more on that later. 

With our support car gone, we both sat in the car park, I did a little selfie video, Drew captured my photo as evidence to prove to the bicingles referees that we were there. 


As the church clock finished its 12th “bong” I gave Drew a hug, shared some nervous chat and I set off. 

I few hundred metres in I realised I had no water, no spare / additional clothes (I was ok in Bédoin but I knew the temperature would drop by a degree for every 100 metres I climbed so before long I was going to be cold) and very little food (I needed to keep eating to ward off the likely hypo’s and to fuel my body for the next 20 or so hours.)

All of the above were safely tucked away in the support car which was heading back to fetch the errant Garmin. I had no choice but to carry on.

It was a beautiful evening, 3/4 moon and hundreds of stars in the sky. Soon enough the road headed in to the forest and the tough climbing started. It wouldn’t get below 8% for any worthwhile period until the top. Strap yourself in Goughy, and just keep turning the pedals. After 45 minutes or so my concern regarding the lack of water, good and clothes started to manifest into panic, and when Badge pulled alongside me I explained to him fairly succinctly how much of a problem this was. Badge being Badge was of course excellent, quickly sorting all 3. Later, he would provide constructive feedback regarding my unnecessary tone… Sorry Badge. 


The rest of the climb continued fairly uneventfully until the road rounded Chalet Reynard and we were exposed to the famous Ventoux wind. It was blowing a hooley. 

I struggled on to the top, my only reference point being the red light on top of the weather station at the summit. 

Rounding the final bend I headed to the summit sign for the obligatory photo before heading into Badge’s car to warm up. Well, try to warm up. 


Unbelievably, despite setting off some 40 minutes after me, Drew arrived at the top 5 minutes after me. I can only imagine what speed he was doing up the mountain. I hoped he’d not gone too big too early, but I had confidence in his athletic ability. 

Soon enough it was time to go back down. I put on every piece of clothing I had including a puffer jacket, 2 wind proof tops, thick winter gloves and some thick bib tights. 

It was nowhere near enough. We started gingerly though cloud which had gathered at the top, gradually building up speed as we descended 20km away in the pitch lack to Malaucene. 

Ascent no 2: Malaucene (1st climb)

From the website: 

In a rural setting, Malaucène reknown as the summer residence of the Popes of Avignon, with its church, its Romanesque Chapels, its fountains and washhouses, its old village and its battlements. The slope is difficult despite some long drags that are not necessarily appealing to everyone. A Long straight line for over 1 km, that never ends, with a high percentage, a little before Mont Serein .

Hmm. Well that’s one way of describing it I suppose. 

Still feeling the cold we stopped briefly in Malaucene for some coffee from the flask and some food. Not wanting to hang around any longer than we had to, we quickly got going. 



The lower slopes were ok for a few km but soon started to get steep, and even the effort of climbing wasn’t really warming me up. Soon enough, the relentless 10, 11 and 12% slopes kicked in and things started to get fairly unpleasant until we reached the ski station of Mount Serin. 

Even here, the respite was brief before the final 4 or 5 long switchbacks elevated us toward the top. 

But then something amazing happened. Daybreak had been threatening but as we rounded the penultimate bend, the sun poked up over the horizon. The psychological impact was immense, and well needed! 





The bad news was that the wind at the top had not subsided. It was still immensely cold at the summit and as beautiful as the dawn view was, we needed to get off the mountain, fast. 

So that’s exactly what we did, descending this time back to Bédoin where the plan was to meet other brave souls from our party who had plans for their own Ventoux challenges. 

The descent, whilst cold, was straightforward although we quickly lost the direct sun as we dipped down the west face of the mountain and into the forest below. 

In Bédoin, the sun was back and I took the opportunity for a Power Nap whilst we waited for the others to arrive. 

 


All too soon, the cavalry arrived and it was time for the 3rd ascent.

Ascent no 3: Bédoin (2nd climb)

The 2nd ascent of Bédoin was much better than the first for a few reasons. Obviously the introduction of sunlight was a very welcome addition, and I had a plethora of food, water and clothing options. The wind at the foot of the mountain was little more than a light breeze. 

But most of all, the 10 minute Power Nap had worked wonders for me. I found it easy to find a comfortable rhythm and enjoyed the climb back up through the forest, stopping at Chalet Reynard for a proper coffee (the restaurant was by this time open). 

Drew had fallen slightly behind but I wasn’t too worried, knowing I had gone quite well so a gap wasn’t a huge surprise. When Drew arrived at the top though I knew things weren’t right. I’ve seen Drew at the top of a lot of mountains but I’ve never seen him look how he looked now, and we still had 6km to the top. And then another 3 climbs. 

We pressed on, trying to take things steady up the last 6km to the summit. In our temporary absence, however, the wind had picked up. At one point I was blown into the gutter and as I tried to get my bike back on the road, another gust of wind lifted the front of the bike into the air. Looking around, other cyclists on the mountain (it was gone 9am by this time) were having similar problems, and those coming down weren’t having much better luck. 

“Character Building” I said to Drew at the top. Looking back it was plain dangerous. We later heard that the guy running the shop at the summit was recording 100kph gusts. Health and Safety would I’m pretty sure have closed it but the plastic tat has to sell somehow. 😜




We both crawled our way to the top where the wind was so fierce we look the obligatory photo and started back down into the wind. 

We’d decided to tackle the climb from Sault next, mainly because we knew that the last Malaucene climb was going to be hideous, and Sault was, on paper at least, “easier”. Plus we’d decided to stop at the bottom for something to eat which wasn’t an energy gel or a harribo. 

Ascent no 4: Sault (1st climb)

From the website: 

In the land of wide open spaces, you discover on the small roads lined with lavender, local products, the Roman heritage, the charm and the climate of the highlands. Slowest slope with departure from Sault at a sufficiently high altitude.

Once we got past the exposed slopes at the top, the descent to Sault was a dream. The gradients were clearly less severe and we seemed to be heading into the wind for most of the way down so our hope was that we’d have the wind at our backs on the ascent. 

We stopped at our favourite cafe in Sault and ordered a reasonably modest lunch of croque Monsieur / pate baguette with a couple of cold cokes. It was by now 1:30pm and the day had warmed up nicely. 


We quickly despatched lunch and set about our 4th climb.

The lower slopes were into the wind but the gradient rarely stretched beyond 6% and before long we had the wind at our backs. 

Worryingly though, Drew still seemed to be struggling. What I thought and hoped may have been a bad patch was clearly something more. 

At Chalet Reynard, Drew made the very difficult but very sensible decision to call it a day. I was absolutely gutted for him. If it wasn’t for Drew pushing me to attempt the 6 ways I wouldn’t have tried it. Here I was nearing the top of the 4th climb and feeling pretty good (all things considered), and my mate wasn’t going to be by my side for the last 2 (assuming I got that far). 

Badge and I had a long conversation with Drew and mutually agreed with his decision. It was a really tough moment for us all, but in particular Drew. I was absolutely confident he would have smashed it on another day, he was just having a bad day. It happens. 



Mood dampened a little, I reluctantly carried on. I was now doing it for me and Drew. 

The wind towards the summit was still strong but seemed to have subsided slightly which was a huge relief. 

The remaining climb passed without further incident, so I another photo and raced down toward Malaucene. It was much easier, and more beautiful, than it had been in the dark earlier that morning. 



Ascent no 5: Malaucene (2nd climb)

Truth be told I was dreading this one. I knew if I finished it I would do the 6, but finishing it was far from certain. 

Coming down the evil long 12% section I saw one of our group at the side of the road. He was coming up and was having a really tough time. We shared some support and carried on our ways. I knew I’d be there in a couple of hours and I was more than a bit apprehensive. 


Having got to the bottom and taken a selfie in the same place as I had that morning, I turned on my heels and started up the climb. 

Trying to keep riding within myself, I ignored the clock and plodded up the climb. 

I got a few km into the tough section and pulled over. Badge got a bed (a cover off a sun lounger with matching pillow) out of his car and told me to sleep for 15 minutes, I didn’t need asking twice. 

15 minutes later I awoke to an amazing apple turnover and a cold coke.

Game on. 

I carried on up the torturous gradient then turned into Mount Serin, knowing a few easy km were coming up before the final push to the top. 

Badge was stopping every km to encourage me on, never missing a trick to keep me entertained and distracted from the immediate task at hand. 

Slowly, slowly, I inched my way to the top, turned the final bend and got out of the saddle, legs screaming, to reach the summit. 

That. Was. Tough. 









The wind had dropped slightly at the summit, but so had the temperature. It was now 6pm and the day was quickly losing its heat. 

The descent to Sault is a beautiful one. With only a few hairpin, good sight lines and with a gradient rarely troubling the fingers on the other hand, it’s one of those descents which encourages you to ride it hard. Which I did. 

I’m not sure Badge in the support car behind me was too impressed and I promised not to do the same thing on the final descent to Bédoin. 

Ascent no 6: Sault (2nd climb)

It was now a case of when not if. I had over 5 hours to do the last 46km, and 20 of those 46 were downhill. 

I set about the last ascent in much the same way as the 1st Sault climb. I knew that between Sault and Chalet Reynard there wasn’t much to test the legs. I cramped up on a few occasions but again the tailwind on the upper part lifted me to the ski station. 6km more to climb. 

Badge and I had pre-arranged to meet at the memorial to Tommy Simpson, a classics British rider who sadly lost his life whilst racing up Ventoux in the 1967 Tour de France. Tragically, it’s only 1km from the top. 

Badge went on ahead and I once again crawled up the final slopes, juggling the wind, my legs and my emotions. 

Eventually I arrived at the monument, climbed off my bike and shared some time with my mate Badge, a guy who could soon add getting me through this crazy challenge to his growing palmares.

Hugs shared, I climbed back on and set about the final 1,000 metres, pretty much counting them all down one by one. 





After some emotional backslapping and words of praise & thanks, we got off the very cold and very windy mountain, albeit with a new found respect for it. I may never return to Ventoux, but I have a feeling it will never be far from my thoughts. 

Epilogue 

This post, indeed all of my Ventoux posts have been centred around me. The main reason for that is wanting to stick to the purpose of this blog: to provide inspiration and support to people who are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and to show, as best I can, that it’s perfectly possible to lead a normal life. 

That said, this challenge was a group effort in many ways. 

First & foremost my wonderful wife and understanding kids who allowed me without second thought to drive 1,000 km across France for a week to climb a pointless mountain a pointless number of times without once asking “why?”. Thank you. 

My fellow comrades, past and present who have ridden with me, helped me, taught me, inspired me. In particular the BSRCC crew who joined me in Ventoux. Big Ring, Biggles, H, Kendo, Pink Shorts, Reckless, Santos, Skiggs and Spokes. You guys are awesome, and the reception you all gave me on returning home still draws a tear. 

Drew, particular mention. On another day, you’d have done the 6 and have your feet up with an almond milk before I got half way through. The bravery you showed on that day was immense. And your Strava stats on the first Bédoin are probably worth a look. Incredible speed. 

And Badge. The superlatives are endless. Notably, supportive, enthusiastic, understanding but also able to push anyone past what they believe to be possible. As I told you in an emotional moment at Tommy’s monument, your Dad created a legend. 


Thank you. 

And you lot, for reading. Apparently it’s entertaining. It’s about a slightly overweight MAMIL riding his bike. If that’s entertainment, you’re very welcome. 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 0: Terminated Trains

Day 1: getting there