There may be trouble ahead....
The Wild Atlantic Way - Part 1
Christ. Really? If I've been unprepared for previous tours it's not a patch on this one.
I've been eyeing up the Wild Atlantic Way (let's just call it the WAW given that I'll be typing the blog on my phone) for a few years. With family living in Ireland I've been perilously close to it but never really able to ride it.
Cue father in law's 80th birthday.
"We're all off to Gregans Castle on the west coast of Ireland" says my better half.
The cogs are already turning. How long would it take to ride from Cork to Gregans Castle?
1 week. Lovely.
"Oh that sounds like a great idea!", says I.
Locked and loaded, I have a plan. Or at least half a plan. The full WAW starts in Cork sure enough, but it follows the west coast up to the north coast and finishes in Kerry. I reckon I can do about half of it and then skirt inland for a few miles and meet the family for lunch. Job done.
So onto the Aer Lingus website. Can I book a bike on a flight from Heathrow? No.
Call Aer Lingus.
Can I book a bike on a flight from Heathrow? Yes.
Booked and loaded, I have a plan. Only tonight, a few months since booking, have I realised that said bike must weigh no more than 20kg.
Yeah.
I reckon I'm 30kg minimum.
I could continue. I've not trained, I've not booked any campsites, I've not really checked the route, the infinite drought appears to be at a sudden and abrupt end, and I received the following message from my wife this evening:
"Mum says you MUST get travel insurance. You're on a bike on those narrow roads and people drive like lunatics., if you have a crash you'll have a nightmare trying to get treatment with no insurance".
I haven't got insurance.
And so, we go. Early start in the morning to try to blag me and my very heavy bike onto a plane and then fingers crossed.
A friend sent me this image earlier this week. It seems appropriate.
If I make it to Gregans Castle I may get it tattooed. Although making it in one piece seems a remote possibility at this stage.
Feck.

Comments
Post a Comment