Day 12 - elevated extension


The wind was still blowing through Sault as I left the restaurant last night (risotto and apple tart: lovely). I had a wander through the town as I meandered my way back to my hotel (no campsites in / around the town so hotel only realistic option).



The 12th century Church of Notre Dame was open so I had a wander around. The church remains on n excellent condition, with half a dozen huge stained glass still very much intact. I lit a candle in memory of my Mum as well as a good friend both of whom we lost too early and both of whom would be wholly supportive of my endeavours. I enjoyed the peace for a few moments before continuing my stroll through the picturesque town.


The town itself was very quiet; likely that the winds had kept people inside. Some restaurants and bars remained open but all customers were inside seeking shelter from the wind. A very different experience to my last few evenings. Finally, I went in search of a view of Mt Ventoux, it’s’ skyline and unmistakable weather tower eerily silhouetted against the evening cloud.

After an excellent nights sleep I awoke reasonably fresh, packed up and went in search of breakfast.

“I haven’t prepared you breakfast” said hotel manager 

“Oh, but I ordered breakfast” said I

“No. Oh. Yes. Hang on…” said the manager as she went hotfooting it out the door. 

Bemused, I took a seat and helped myself to coffee. Fair play, 5 minutes later my new best friend returns with a breakfast of croissants, bread, ham, cheese, a boiled egg and a yoghurt. I wasn’t going ask where that little lot had come from, so I just set about devouring it.

Soon enough I headed out of Sault, back up hill and back into the wind, albeit that the forecast was for much less strong wind today. Nevertheless it made for slow progress as a climbed my way up the first 15km. The climbing then relented and I enjoyed a largely downhill ride for the next 55km or so, stopping only to take photos of the stunning scenery and to buy the obligatory baguette.




The road started to climb again, this time through a remote woodland which opened out into a plain. Although I was able to enjoy a couple of sections where the road darted down to a stone bridge to cross the river, the going was tough, climbing 400m over 10km. 

Towards the top was an abundance of lavender fields; as there had been for the past 100km of my route, but these were in full flower, with richer colours and incredible smells. As I stopped to take a photo I looked around and marvelled that I could still clearly make out the top of Mt Ventoux, some 80km since I set out from Sault. 



As I reached the village of Valensole, I found a bench in a small square under the shade of a tree so I took the opportunity to have my baguette & coke. I was making good time with only 30km of the planned stage still to ride and the time only just past 1 o’clock. An extension was on the cards; I’d think about that as I carried on into the afternoon.

The afternoon set about climbing towards the Gorge du Verdon, my treat for tomorrow. The general trend was up, followed by down, repeat. 





None of the climbs were too long and I made decent progress until I hit the 8km Cat 2 climb which would take me to Moustiers Ste Marie, my original planned stop. Since it was still before 3pm, the town didn’t look too spectacular and I was keen to eat into the mileage for tomorrow’s run in to Nice, I decided to carry on. 

The road climbed out of the village and then dropped through a series of hairpins to the beautifully turquoise Lac de Saints Croix. From there, the it took a sharp left and took me up an exposed single track road (impeccably surfaced, obviously). The gradient rose to 6% where it stayed. For 7km. In 30 degree heat.





Finally reaching the town of Aiguines, I found a well appointed campsite, booked a pitch and collapsed into a chair on the terrace for a well earned beer. It had been another fantastic day Riding through another part of France which I never knew existed. 

Then the thought hit me: tomorrow - all being well - I will reach Nice. Having risen nearly 1500km since St Malo I’m now only have 140km to go. 

Sat on the terrace with anorher beer (or 2), I sat back and relived some highlights of my adventure so far, not thinking too much about tomorrow. If I squint, I can still see Mt Ventoux on the horizon.






Comments

  1. Ah the allure of the Windy Mountain, all very Tolkein’esque. The stunning backdrop, a fitting totem for your epic journey. Drink well, the Promenade de Anglais beckons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Giant of Provence looked after you today then! Super ride, again. You might be in Nice soon enough to round off with a spin up the Col D'Eze 🥴

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Giant of Provence looked after you today then! Super ride, again. You might be in Nice soon enough to round off with a spin up the Col D'Eze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you’ve had another great day Mr G. What great scenery and weather. Glad the wind has died down for you. Ride safe. Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Bicingles bonanza

Day 0: Terminated Trains

Day 1: getting there